4 fashion week runway looks anyone can recreate at home
As New York Fashion Week kicks off, we asked a celebrity makeup artist—and runway pro—to show us how to pull off catwalk beauty using affordable Neutrogena® products.
Fashionistas have taken over New York City this week to preview the trends destined to hit clothing stores next fall and winter. But Fashion Week is also famous for introducing something else: the hottest makeup looks of the year.
“Overall, the trend right now is toward fresh, dewy skin,” says Neil Scibelli, a New York City-based celebrity makeup artist and Neutrogena® brand ambassador who’s known for creating signature looks for the Fashion Week runway. “We’re seeing glowy complexions, as well as defined brows and fun pops of color.”
The good news? You don’t need a fashionista’s budget—or a personal stylist—to whip up these trendy looks at home, says Scibelli. So we asked the makeup star to show us how anyone can rock of-the-moment runway looks using affordable Neutrogena® cosmetics—including some fun, new products for 2018.
The runway look: clearly defined brows
“We’ve seen bold, defined brows on the runway in recent shows by Christian Dior, Proenza Schouler and Schiaparelli,” Scibelli says, adding that the look has also been spotted on celebs like Cara Delevingne and Priyanka Chopra. “The overfilled brow has been on its way out. The trend now is to simply fill in any sparse areas and always follow the natural shape of your brows, so they are defined but don’t take over your face.”
How to easily do it at home
1. To create a natural but polished base look for your eyes, start with Neutrogena® Nourishing Long Wear Eye Shadow. (We used the “Cocoa Mauve” palette on our model.) Sweep the lightest shade (the second shade from the top on this palette) across the eyelid. Then brush the palette’s darker, “liner” shade (the bottom row on the palette) just along the upper lash line, as well as in the crease.
2. Using Neutrogena® Nourishing Eye Liner in Cosmic Black, line the inner rims of the eyes for a more defined treatment. “This gives an effortless look that still provides some sultry definition,” Scibelli explains. Then, by barely touching the eyelid, add eye liner along the top and bottom lash lines. “This is a way to accentuate your lashes, because it thickens your lash line, but it’s subtle as far as eye liner goes,” Scibelli says.
3. Finish with Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Plumping Mascara in Black. Featuring hyaluronic acid, vitamin E and keratin, this new mascara instantly plumps your lashes, while also adding a boost of hydration and shine. Coat the back of the lash first, then curl upwards with the wand from underneath.
Choose a blush color that’s similar to the natural shade of your lips and apply it to the apples of your cheeks, which will help your brows pop even more.
4. Now the brows! The new, matte Neutrogena® Nourishing Brow Pencil (we used the “Brown” shade, shown at right) is a 2-in-1 tool with a spoolie brush designed to help blend and soften any sharp, harsh lines and deliver a natural brow look. Start by combing through the brows with the spoolie in the direction they naturally grow. “This helps make the hairs look a little more neat and framed, and it preps the brow for color,” Scibelli says. Then, with the pencil side, begin at the inner corner and frame the brows in small, quick strokes, moving first upward, then along the arch of the brow, feathering to the outer corner. Comb over the brows once more with the spoolie to blend in the color. “This helps to diffuse the product, which ultimately blends right into your brows and mimics the natural appearance of hair,” Scibelli says. If your brow hairs are longer or a little unruly, use a dab of Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Treatment to tame them. Tap the product onto the brow with your fingers, then comb it in with the spoolie. This will keep the hair in place, plus add a touch of shine.
5. Choose a blush color that’s similar to the natural shade of your lips and apply it to the apples of your cheeks, which will help your brows pop even more. (We used Neutrogena® Healthy Skin Blush in Flushed.)
6. Next, tap in some Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Concealer under the eyes and blend gently with your ring finger. (We used the “Deep” shade.) Then finish the look by lightly applying Neutrogena® Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation just along the T-zone. (We used the “Tan” shade.) This works to help conceal blemishes, tone down any redness and even out the skin tone. It’s also a great setting powder, adds Scibelli, and can help minimize shine if your skin tends to be on the oily side.
The runway look: bold, colorful lips
Adding a fun splash of color is an easy, on-trend way to amp up your everyday look. “We’ve seen pops of color on the runway at Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu and Chanel, to name a few,” says Scibelli.
And even if you’re someone who doesn’t normally rock a bold lip, the look is easier to pull off this season because the trend is shifting away from matte lipsticks in favor of more natural, creamy finishes. “You can easily achieve this look with the Neutrogena® MoistureSmooth Color Stick line, which I love because it offers such a range of colors,” he adds.
How to easily do it at home
1. Start with the Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Treatment, applying a thin layer to your lips. “This works as a great hydrating primer, especially in the winter months when your lips are drier,” Scibelli says. “It gives you a smoother canvas before you apply color.”
2. Next, apply Neutrogena® MoistureSmooth Color Stick in a bold color as you would a lipstick. (We used “Deep Plum.”) “The difference with these sticks is they’re buildable, so they’re sheer in the initial application—but for bolder, more pigmented color, you can apply layers,” Scibelli explains. “It’s a great day-to-night product to keep in your bag.”
3. For a glossier finish, add a swipe of Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Shine (shown above) in a complementary color (we used the new “Soft Mulberry” shade), which has “bonus, built-in hydration,” Scibelli says.
The runway look: a natural, dewy glow
“I think we’ve gotten to a place where we’re truly celebrating natural beauty instead of covering it up,” Scibelli says. “The ‘dewy glow’ represents radiance, good health and a sense of effortlessness, which has really caught on.”
And he notes that the Neutrogena® Hydro Boost line is perfect for creating the dewy glow. “Its moisturizing properties help bind makeup to your skin for a more natural look,” he explains. “The hyaluronic acid in these products draws moisture from the air to help hydrate your skin, which lends a plumping effect.”
How to easily do it at home
1. To prep your skin, apply Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Serum to the entire surface of your face, and then tap some Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Eye underneath the eyes.
2. Next, apply a thin layer of Neutrogena® Healthy Skin Primer with Broad Spectrum SPF 15. “This is a great base because it’s hydrating and it has light-reflecting properties. You can wear it on its own, since it has a little iridescent finish, or use it under your makeup,” Scibelli says. “Since it has SPF 15, it’s a great daytime primer.”
3. Fill in your brows using the Neutrogena® Nourishing Brow Pencil (we used “Soft Brown”), covering any sparse areas and following the natural shape of your brow.
4. Working with a Neutrogena® Nourishing Long Wear Eye Shadow palette (we used “Classic Nude”), cover the lid with the top lightest shade in the palette, then apply the third, darker shade (from the top) in the crease. Before you apply shadow, use the Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Concealer on your eyelids as a primer (we used the “Fair” shade). This will help minimize any redness, even out the eyelid color and hydrate the eye area.
5. Next, apply Neutrogena® Nourishing Eye Liner (we used “Spiced Chocolate”) to both the top and bottom lid, then use the wand’s smudger to blend, giving the eye a softer, more diffused look. “This less intense smoky liner is more wearable for daytime or work,” Scibelli says.
6. Finish the eyes with a coat of Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Plumping Mascara. “Using the Black/Brown color keeps the eyes soft and warm to let the glowy skin shine through,” Scibelli says.
For a dewy look, tap a bit of the Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Treatment onto your cheeks. The hyaluronic acid will help plump the area a bit and lend a natural highlight, enhancing your glow.
7. Next, apply an allover, thin layer of Neutrogena Healthy Skin® Liquid Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 20, which provides good coverage and pigment without being cakey. (We used the “Natural Ivory” shade.) “You can do some contouring on the cheekbones and perimeter of the face, near the hairline, with a slightly darker color,” Scibelli says. “It should reflect where the sun usually hits you for a more natural look.” (We used “Natural Beige” on our model.)
8. Use Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Concealer (we used the “Fair” shade) over the foundation to smooth any redness or uneven areas. Tap the product onto your skin using your ring finger, Scibelli suggests, or use a concealer brush.
9. For a dewy look, tap a bit of the Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Treatment onto your cheeks. The hyaluronic acid will help plump the area a bit and lend a natural highlight, enhancing your glow.
10. Complement your glowing skin with a subtle, highlighting blush color, such as Neutrogena® Healthy Skin Blush. (We used “Luminous,” shown at right.) “This blush is a great replacement for someone on the fair side who doesn’t want a pigmented color blush, but still wants to define their cheekbones,” Scibelli says.
11. For lips, swipe on a layer of color in the Neutrogena® MoistureSmooth Color Stick shade of your choice. (We used “Fresh Papaya.”)
The runway look: a diffused smoky eye
“I looked to Carolina Herrera and Balmain’s spring runway shows for this look, which is all about pairing a softer smoky eye with a bolder lip,” Scibelli says. “The result is easy evening glam.”
How to easily do it at home
1. Apply Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Concealer as a primer on the eyelid (we used the “Fair” shade), then cover the lid with the first, top shade on the Neutrogena® Nourishing Long Wear Eye Shadow palette (we used “Smoky Steel”). Apply the third shade (from the top) in the crease and along the line of both eyelids, using an angled brush for the bottom lid. “You can choose how far out you want to wing your shadow,” Scibelli says. “You can wear it centered to the lid or extend the shadow further outside your brow line to give it a more winged out, smokier look.” Swipe the second shade on the palette just under your brows, to act as a highlighter.
2. Apply Neutrogena® Nourishing Eye Liner in Cosmic Black, extending it out just past the lash line and upward, to lend a bit of a cat-eye finish. “Do your liner after your eye shadow so the liner pops and stays fresh, rather than getting buried under shadow,” says Scibelli.
3. If you want a more dramatic effect, coat your lashes with a darker mascara, such as Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Plumping Mascara in “Black” (shown at right). Bend the head of the mascara brush at a right angle to give your lashes an extra boost.
4. Sticking to just the apples of your cheeks, opt for a warm blush, such as Neutrogena® Healthy Skin Blush (we used “Vibrant”), and sweep upward with the brush as you apply it.
5. Your lip color is up to you (our model is wearing Neutrogena® Hydro Boost Hydrating Lip Shine in the new “Pink Mocha” shade), but Scibelli notes that if you want an even bolder look, Neutrogena® MoistureSmooth Color Stick in “Classic Red” is wearable year-round and pairs well with a classic evening look.
6. Finish the look by applying Neutrogena® Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (we used “Classic Ivory”) just in your T-zone, avoiding your cheeks. “This powder helps keep you looking fabulous for the rest of the night,” Scibelli notes, “so you can focus on enjoying your evening without worrying about having to touch up your makeup.”