SUDAFED® Brand Unveils First-Of-Its Kind SINUS SKETCHER™ App To Help Sinus Sufferers Open Up Through Drawing
SUDAFED® Survey Also Reveals Surprising Details about Life as a Sinus Sufferer
FORT WASHINGTON, PA (October 29, 2013) – Serious sinus sufferers often describe sinus pain and pressure as leaving them feeling squeezed, congested, beat down and crushed – desperately seeking relief from their sinus symptoms. The makers of SUDAFED® are now encouraging sinus sufferers to come together and open up about sinus pain and pressure as part of the all-new OPEN UP & SHARE™ contest on the SUDAFED® Facebook page. Using the first-of-its kind SINUS SKETCHER™ app, serious sinus sufferers are empowered to submit an original sketch to creatively communicate how sinus pain and pressure looks and feels to them.
Serious sinus sufferers can create an original illustration using The SINUS SKETCHER™ app’s images and drawing tools, as well as edit pictures from their own Facebook photo albums for their sketch. Contest entries can be submitted until November 24, 2013 and five sketches will be selected as finalists by well-known cartoonist Liza Donnelly.
“As a cartoonist, I often find it easier to express my feelings through drawings rather than words, so I was excited to hear about the OPEN UP & SHARE™ contest,” said Donnelly. “I also happen to suffer from sinus problems, so it was a natural fit to partner with the SUDAFED® Brand. My first thought was to draw my head in a vice.”
Starting on December 2, the SUDAFED® community will have the opportunity to vote for the sketch that they believe best illustrates the pain of sinus pressure. The winner will have their artwork included in a SUDAFED® OPEN UP™ national advertising campaign, and receive a $5,000 prize.
The OPEN UP™ TV advertising campaign by the SUDAFED® brand was developed to illustrate visual metaphors used to describe sinus pain and pressure. These new spots feature compelling images of being blocked like water in a twisted garden hose, squeezed like a juiced orange, stuffed up like a clogged vacuum and congested like rush hour traffic.
SINUS SUFFERERS UNDER SERIOUS PRESSURE
According to a recent survey by the makers of SUDAFED®, serious sufferers are definitely not alone in their pain. 53 percent of adults report frequently experiencing sinus pain and pressure that impacts their personal, work and love lives. Sinus sufferers are willing to go to great lengths and make surprising sacrifices to open up. In fact, the survey revealed that four out of five sinus sufferers (81 percent) would give up everyday pleasures, such as social media, vacation days, and carbohydrates, for an entire year to never again experience sinus issues.
A Sinus Sufferer’s Portrait of Pain and Pressure
- According to sinus sufferers, the top ways to describe sinus pain and pressure are by comparing it to being stuck in traffic congestion (38 percent) or feeling like a balloon about to pop (35 percent).
- More than half of sufferers (55 percent) identify with feeling pressure — such as an orange being squeezed by a juicer.
Pressure at Work
- On average, sinus sufferers go to work 15 days each year while suffering from a cold or sinus pressure and congestion.
- Nearly a quarter (23 percent) of sinus sufferers admit that working is one of the most difficult things to do while suffering from sinus symptoms.
- Four out of 5 workers (83 percent) would be more likely to go to work than take a sick day when experiencing sinus pain and pressure.
Pain at Home
- In addition to not feeling well, sinus sufferers are likely to have difficulty sleeping, with 40 percent of sufferers admitting that it’s among the most difficult things to do while suffering.
- Nearly three-fourths of women (72 percent) say their significant other is a bigger baby when sick with a cold. What’s more, 61 percent of men agree that they are, in fact, a bigger baby than their partner.
- More than two-thirds of Americans in a relationship (70 percent) admit to having some sort of strategy to avoid getting sick from their significant other, such as no kissing, no hugging or cuddling, or sleeping separately.
For more information about SUDAFED®, visit www.sudafed.com.
To connect with SUDAFED® on Facebook, visit www.Facebook.com/SUDAFED.
About the SUDAFED® Brand
SUDAFED®, the#1 pharmacist recommended brand for sinus products and oral decongestants, has been 100% dedicated to sinus for over 50 years. The SUDAFED® family of products provide powerful, relief of sinus pressure, pain and congestion related to the common cold, allergies or other sinus problems.
About McNeil Consumer Healthcare
McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. markets a broad range of well-known and trusted over-the-counter (OTC) products around the globe. McNeil Consumer Healthcare is most widely recognized for the TYLENOL® brand. Other McNeil Consumer Healthcare brands include BENADRYL®, ZYRTEC® and ZYRTEC®-D allergy medicines, IMODIUM® A-D anti-diarrheal, MOTRIN® IB pain reliever and fever reducer, and SUDAFED® and SUDAFED PE® nasal decongestants.
 Wakefield Research survey conducted between August 7 and August 14, 2013, among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18 and older. The margin of error at the 95 percent confidence level is +/- 3.1 percentage points. Survey sponsored by the makers of SUDAFED®.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare