Johnson & Johnson and all its operating companies are committed to workplace diversity and to cultivating, fostering and preserving a culture of inclusion. We know that bringing our diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives together is the way to solve today’s complex health problems. Our Credo outlines our responsibility to create an inclusive environment and to respect the dignity and diversity of all people. This makes diversity and inclusion (D&I) everyone’s responsibility—that of every employee around the globe. Enabling everyone at Johnson & Johnson to perform at their best while being themselves is fundamental to our continued success.
The Diversity and Inclusion Policy, along with our Global Strategy, sets out the principles and requirements by which Johnson & Johnson will enhance D&I throughout the organization. The Policy applies to all employees and anyone conducting work on behalf of Johnson & Johnson or any of its operating companies.
Our D&I strategy is based on three strategic pillars designed to accelerate how we provide health and wellness solutions to an increasingly diverse world.
Our D&I strategy starts with our people. It starts with helping them discover ways of working that foster a sense of inclusion and a deep sense of belonging—for themselves, for their teams, for Johnson & Johnson. We know that through inclusive leaders and developing a culture where everyone can bring their ideas, we can innovate.
In parallel, we must focus on building a diverse workforce by attracting, developing and retaining employees, as well as leveraging our internal D&I networks to enable our people to feel they belong. We believe that through maintaining a diverse workforce we will be employing the best talent and leveraging varied and unique skills and perspectives.
It is also critical to embed D&I into our business strategies in order to drive business results in global markets. By understanding the needs of our patients, customers and consumers, we believe that we will be better positioned to deliver on our promise to solve the most challenging health issues.
Diversity & Inclusion Vision:
Be yourself, change the world. Our vision at Johnson & Johnson is for all employees to draw on their unique experiences and backgrounds together—to spark solutions that create a better, healthier world.
Diversity & Inclusion Mission:
Make D&I how we work every day. Our mission is to make D&I our way of doing business. We will advance our culture of belonging—in which open hearts and minds combine to unleash the potential of a brilliant mix of people—in every corner of Johnson & Johnson.
Every employee is responsible for respecting the dignity and diversity of all people and creating an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and bullying. All employees are also required to enhance their awareness of potential unconscious bias and how that might hinder our ability to be more inclusive and collaborative with one another.
Additionally, managers are accountable for specific D&I responsibilities and for results achieved as part of their job performance. These responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that employment-related decisions are free from discrimination.
- Mitigating potential unconscious bias in employment decisions and talent practices (including performance and development, compensation, and hiring).
- Providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and individuals with needs related to their religious observance or practices. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation depends on the facts and circumstances, and is addressed on a case-by-case basis.
- Creating an inclusive and safe work environment that supports D&I and behaviors that reinforce Our Credo values:
- Ensuring a work environment that is free from discrimination, harassment and bullying;
- Consistently displaying inclusive leadership behaviors, valuing all perspectives, and listening to diverse points of view;
- Role-modeling inclusive and respectful behavior in the work environment and all work-related activities; and
- Encouraging employees to collaborate, make suggestions, and respect and listen to diverse opinions.
- Cultivating a culture of respect for all employees, customers, vendors, contractors and others in the work environment.
- Contacting Global Services – Human Resources (HR) or local HR when becoming aware of an employee who may be subject to discrimination, harassment or bullying, either by receiving such a complaint or otherwise receiving information about such conduct.
- Appropriately addressing any other behavior not consistent with this and/or other policies relating to equal opportunity, diversity, or inclusion.
Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying:
Johnson & Johnson provides equal opportunities for employment. We base employment decisions on merit, considering qualifications, skills, performance and achievements, and we do not tolerate discrimination. We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with a disability as well as individuals with needs related to their religious observance or practice.
All of us have a right to work in an environment free from the demoralizing effects of harassment and unwelcome offensive or improper conduct. Our Company will not tolerate harassment, bullying or conduct that could lead or contribute to harassment of employees by managers, supervisors, or co-workers. We also will actively seek to protect employees from harassment or bullying by non-employees in the workplace. Similarly, Johnson & Johnson will not tolerate harassment or bullying by its employees of non-employees with whom they have a business, service, or professional relationship.
Reporting Inappropriate Conduct:
If an employee believes that he/she or another individual has been subjected to conduct prohibited by this Policy, the employee is urged and expected to report the relevant facts promptly. An employee may make a report either orally or in writing. Concerns can be raised to any member of Johnson & Johnson management, Global Services – Human Resources at www.jnjgsportal.com or via phone through the contact number for the employee’s location, any other Human Resources employee, or through the grievance/dispute resolution process available in the employee’s location. As an alternative, an employee may file concerns both electronically on www.credohotline.com or by calling a toll-free number (international dialing instructions on the same website), both of which can be made anonymously in most jurisdictions.
We take allegations of discrimination, harassment and bullying seriously, and ensure they are appropriately investigated. All reported incidents will be investigated with an effort to keep the source of the report confidential, with the disclosure of information as appropriate to facilitate the investigation or the resolution of the matter.
Johnson & Johnson encourages employees to report in good faith any possible violation of this Policy. We will not tolerate threats or acts of retaliation of any kind against any individuals because they report conduct reasonably believed to violate this Policy or in good faith provide information in connection with a report or investigation of any such conduct.
Employees who do not comply with this Policy and/or are found to have engaged in discrimination, harassment or bullying, will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Last updated: June 2019