Johnson & Johnson Releases 2022 Health for Humanity Report Demonstrating Progress Against Goals
Johnson & Johnson today published its 2022 Health for Humanity Report, which serves as its annual disclosure on environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance. The Report also provides progress against our ambitious set of Health for Humanity 2025 Goals.
In 2022, we continued to focus on solving challenging global health issues that align with our ESG strategic priorities. Built on a foundation of accountability and innovation, these strategic priorities –championing global health equity, empowering our employees and advancing environmental health – guide how we work to create value for the stakeholders we serve.
Highlights from the 2022 Report include:
Championing global health equity
We strive for a healthier, more equitable future by helping to transform the future of the world’s access to health care.
- Delivered more than 586,000 courses of our medicine SIRTURO (bedaquiline), which is used to treat multidrug-resistant tuberculosis, since 2014.
- Earned the #2 ranking in the 2022 Access to Medicine Index, reflecting our strategy to enable access to our medicines and technologies for people in low- and middle-income countries.
- Supported 1.3 million nurses, midwives and community health workers with skills, tools and growth through the Johnson & Johnson Center for Health Worker Innovation including programs supported by the Johnson & Johnson Foundation, achieving our Health for Humanity Goal.
Empowering our employees
We aim to attract and attain top-tier employees by creating a future-ready organization and encouraging employees to lend their skills and expertise to create healthy communities worldwide.
- Reached 36% ethnic/racial diversity in management positions within the U.S., achieving our Health for Humanity 2025 Goal.
- More than 130,000 employees (92%) responded to Our Credo Survey, with an 87% favorability rate – a testament to our values-driven culture.
- Launched J&J Learn, a dynamic learning and development ecosystem that empowers employees with continuous opportunities for reskilling, upskilling and development.
Advancing environmental health
We advance environmental health goals in order to support a healthier planet.
- Reached the milestone of 100% renewable electricity for our operations in Europe, and secured 100% renewable electricity for our operations in Brazil starting in 2023 through a direct Power Purchase Agreement.
- Included on the CDP A List for leadership in climate action for the fifth year in a row.
- Launched a new multiyear collaborative initiative, Digital Health in a Circular Economy (DiCE), with co-funding from the EU Horizon Europe program, to address digital health waste.
Leading with accountability and innovation
We are committed to science and data-driven decision making, compliance, integrity and responsible business practices across the value chain.
- Invested $14.6 billion in research and development across our businesses.
- Updated Responsibility Standards for Suppliers with expanded expectations on diversity, equity and inclusion, information security, environmental responsibility and to respect and promote human rights across our operations and business.
Reporting Frameworks and Standards
The 2022 Health for Humanity Report has been prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards. We also disclose our performance against additional ESG standards and frameworks (see ESG Disclosure Index), including:
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) relevant Standards: HC-BP, HC-MS, CG-HP
- Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), building on our responses to the CDP climate change questionnaire
- Norges Bank Investment Management and Basel Institute on Governance’s “Measuring effectiveness of anti-corruption programmes” reporting framework, adding disclosures against this set of 17 indicators
- UN Global Compact (UNGC) see our annual Communication on Progress.
Johnson & Johnson Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re driven by Our Purpose to change the trajectory of health for humanity. Our ESG strategy focuses our efforts on the areas where we are uniquely positioned to achieve the greatest impact – championing global health equity, empowering our employees and advancing environmental health – and builds on a foundation of accountability and innovation. We create long-term value by helping to achieve better health outcomes for patients and healthcare providers, foster rewarding opportunities for our employees and suppliers, protect and strengthen the communities in which we live and work, and provide profitable, sustainable growth for investors. Our Health for Humanity 2025 Goals align to our ESG strategy, support 11 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and are how we hold ourselves publicly accountable.
About Johnson & Johnson
At Johnson & Johnson, we believe good health is the foundation of vibrant lives, thriving communities and forward progress. That’s why for more than 135 years, we have aimed to keep people well at every age and every stage of life. Today, as the world’s largest, most diversified healthcare products company, we are committed to using our reach and size for good. We strive to improve access and affordability, create healthier communities, and put a healthy mind, body and environment within reach of everyone, everywhere. We are blending our heart, science and ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity.