The Valuable 500: Johnson & Johnson’s commitment to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion
The Valuable 500 is a global movement that has united 500 leading corporations around a shared goal: to put disability inclusion on the business leadership agenda and, in turn, be the tipping point for change that helps unlock the social and economic value of people living with disabilities.
We’re proud to join The Valuable 500 and work with other leading companies to elevate the importance of inclusion for people with diverse abilities. At Johnson & Johnson, we blend heart, science and ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity. This is Our Purpose, which guides everything we do. To achieve this aspiration, it’s essential that our global workforce reflects the diversity of all those we serve across the globe. This includes the 1.3 billion people worldwide who identify as having a diverse ability.
Inclusion at Johnson & Johnson is about creating a sense of belonging. It’s about fostering a culture where all people are valued, where their ideas are heard and where they can bring their authentic selves to work each day. Only then can everyone perform at their full potential.
This isn’t just the right thing to do; it’s an imperative because we know that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enables us to challenge the status quo, drive innovation, improve decision-making, and ultimately increases the value we can deliver for our patients, consumers and customers — and for society as a whole.
This mindset of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) starts at the top with the business leaders who chart the course for our 135,000 employees. Our Johnson & Johnson Executive Committee members sponsor and champion the efforts of the company’s 12 Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) — employee-led groups with shared identities and experiences who advance our culture of inclusion and offer key insights that help drive better outcomes for the communities they represent. Our Alliance for Diverse Abilities ERG includes more than 3,400 members in 42 countries and provides support, education and programming related to diverse physical, neurological, cognitive and mental health abilities.
This commitment to our employees and the patients and customers we serve is a key part of our overall DE&I strategy and centers on the three pillars of our Strategic Framework. For people with diverse abilities, we are committed to:
Enhance our culture of inclusion
- Embrace the unique talents and skills of people with diverse abilities and educate our employees about the value all colleagues bring to our work
- Enhance accessibility for employees with diverse abilities, from our physical workspaces to our digital platforms
Build a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve
- Actively recruit, develop and support people with diverse abilities at all levels of the organization
- Continue to expand programs such as our “DiverseAbility” initiative that provides opportunities and support for people with diverse abilities in our contingent labor workforce
Drive business innovation and growth
- Address the needs of people with diverse abilities through the products and services we offer
- Build upon our work to address health inequities
- Foster existing relationships and identify new partnerships with organizations focused on diverse abilities
At Johnson & Johnson, we seek to unleash the potential of every employee by embracing and leveraging their diversity. We will continue to harness the power of DE&I in all we do to truly change the trajectory of health for humanity.
You can see the full list of companies in The Valuable 500 here.