Nadja Y. West, M.D.
Independent Director since 2020
Dr. Nadja West, age 60, retired from the U.S. Army with the rank of Lieutenant General in October 2019. She served as the 44th Army Surgeon General, and the Commanding General of the U.S. Army Medical Command from 2015 to 2019, overseeing the highest medical readiness and battlefield wound survival rates in history. As the Joint Staff Surgeon from 2013 to 2015, Dr. West was the principal medical advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon, where she coordinated all related health services issues, including operational medicine, force health protection and readiness within the military. Her prior roles include Deputy Chief of Staff for Support, U.S. Army Medical Command from 2012 to 2013, ensuring proper resources and support for smooth operation of the entire command. From 2010 to 2012, Dr. West served as Commanding General of the Europe Regional Medical Command. She is the recipient of numerous U.S. military awards, including the Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal and the Legion of Merit with three Oak Leaf Clusters. Dr. West currently serves as Trustee of both the National Recreation Foundation and Mount St. Mary’s University; on the Board of Governers of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA); and board member of Americares, The Olmsted Scholar Foundation and The Woodruff Foundation.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven executive and operational leadership, strategic planning and healthcare management
- Expertise in government relations and human capital management
- Operational crisis management and disaster response experience pertaining to global health issues
- Extensive information security and cybersecurity experience
- Member, Regulatory Compliance & Sustainability
- Member, Science & Technology
Other Public Board Service
- Nucor Corporation (since 2019)
- Tenet Healthcare Corporation (since 2019)